As part of its ongoing commitment to promoting STEM academic disciplines, The Aerospace Corporation established the Dr. Wanda M. Austin STEM Scholarship in 2015.
Sustained through employee donations, charitable organizations, and estate gifts, the Aerospace STEM Endowment Fund finances the scholarship. Named after Aerospace’s former CEO and president in recognition of her dedicated service and support of STEM education, the scholarship is given to one underrepresented and underprivileged high school student who demonstrates academic excellence and strong leadership skills.
The Dr. Wanda M. Austin STEM Scholarship annually awards up to $10,000 a year - renewable for four years - toward college tuition and expenses.
STEM Scholarship Requirements
The scholarship recipients are required to pursue undergraduate studies in a STEM field at a four-year college and maintain a 3.0 grade point average. Winners also receive a paid internship at Aerospace.
To be considered for this invitation-only scholarship, high school contestants are first recommended by their school counselors and principals. They also must write an essay describing their interest in pursuing a STEM career, submit recommendation letters, academic transcripts, and a statement of financial need. After careful consideration of all the submissions, the Aerospace selection committee interviews the top candidates and selects a winner.
Aerospace’s support for the scholarship recipient doesn’t just stop with financial assistance. The recipient is also matched with Aerospace employees who act as academic mentors and life coaches, becoming an important emotional and educational support system for the student as they navigate college life.
Talent doesn’t discriminate and tomorrow’s leaders will come from every neighborhood and background.
Aerospace’s AeroScholars program seeks out these promising students early on, bringing them onto our campus for summer internships that place them sideby-side with engineers and scientists.
The growing ranks of AeroScholars are drawn from the pool of applicants for the Dr. Wanda M. Austin STEM scholarship, which recruits the most talented students across our community to help them achieve their college dreams.
The STEM Scholarship Recipients and AeroScholars:
- Antonio Garcia – 2021 STEM Scholarship Recipient
- Itzel Sanchez – 2020 STEM Scholarship Recipient
- Ashley Carpenter – 2019 STEM Scholarship Recipient
- Aka Amobi – 2018 STEM Scholarship Recipient
- Charlie Rivas – 2017 STEM Scholarship Recipient and Saint John's University graduate
- Heydy Arias – 2016 STEM Scholarship Recipient and UCLA graduate
- Eduardo Barajas – 2021 AeroScholar
- Martha Salazar – 2020 AeroScholar
- Kiera McKenzie – 2019 AeroScholar
- Natalia Salazar – 2018 AeroScholar
- George James – 2018 AeroScholar
- Miguel Tamayo – 2018 AeroScholar
- Julia Rios – 2018 AeroScholar
- Idalia Perez – 2017 STEM AeroScholar
- Aureliano Yepez – 2016 STEM AeroScholar
STEM Scholarship Winner Graduates From UCLA
Support the STEM Endowment